Monday, May 7, 2012

Tell me, what do you have in the house?

Yesterday at church, Pastor James Dodzweit reminded me of a powerful, perspective enhancing miracle from  2 Kings chapter 4:


A certain woman of the wives of the sons of the prophets cried out to Elisha, saying, “Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that your servant feared the Lord. And the creditor is coming to take my two sons to be his slaves.” So Elisha said to her, “What shall I do for you? Tell me, what do you have in the house?” And she said, “Your maidservant has nothing in the house but a jar of oil.” Then he said, “Go, borrow vessels from everywhere, from all your neighbors; empty vessels; do not gather just a few. And when you have come in, you shall shut the door behind you and your sons; then pour it into all those vessels, and set aside the full ones.” So she went from him and shut the door behind her and her sons, who brought the vessels to her; and she poured it out. Now it came to pass, when the vessels were full, that she said to her son, “Bring me another vessel.” And he said to her, “There is not another vessel.” So the oil ceased. Then she came and told the man of God. And he said, “Go, sell the oil and pay your debt; and you and your sons live on the rest.”



The key points that resonated with me: Don't focus on the negative (I have nothing but ___) when you can focus on the benefits of what you do have (what can I do with my jar of oil?) There will always be another empty vessel, as long as you seek them out, but that doesn't matter when you're following the Lord's will. He has promised to provide for all our needs and is the giver of good and perfect gifts. James 1:17


I believe in tithing. Whether it's 10% of income from my paycheck going in the collection plate on Sunday morning at church or by less conventional means, tithing is vital to our understanding of commitment, submission, charity, and selflessness in relation to God's overwhelmingly generous and loving blessings. Since we've been without a regular church home since we moved to Tampa 2 years ago, we haven't had a regular collection plate to give to. Our transitional employment statuses have also left little budgetary wiggle room. We do have time to give instead of cash.


If I give my time, in the form of massage therapy, I can use my specialization (as an economics term), to leverage my time for the greatest benefit for charitable causes. This allows me to specialize further, meet my paying clients' needs more effectively, and network in a philanthropic, soul soothing way. I sincerely believe the Lord gave me this gift of healing skills in the first place (along with all the blessing I have) so giving back is a no-brainer. As the last line of the story clearly shows, it's not just one way, "Go, sell the oil and pay your debt; and you and your sons live on the rest.”

This is the set up for the intensive case study and treatment plan I am undertaking on a client in the next few weeks and how that fits into my overall charity based learning and marketing plan. That will be at least 1 other post, including some very nerdy massage talk. 

I also have the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life in Lutz coming up soon as well as some other tricks up my sleeve- stay tuned!



1 comment:

  1. From Pastor Jamie Kent 2 weeks later, "God will not ask you to keep doing what you're doing, He will ask you to do what you can't do without Him."

    ReplyDelete