Friday, January 6, 2012

In the Zone

Over the Christmas break (aka the break from everything healthy), I picked up a copy of the Zone Diet book at a Goodwill store. http://www.zonediet.com/  It seems like a good transitional step from the hardcore all protein and fat habit I picked up from Protein Power by the Doctors Eades. The Zone is all about proportions of carbs to protein to fat. The catch is that the brain uses sugars most effectively where muscle seems to use protein most effectively. You can't cut out any one macro nutrient without harming some bodily processes in the process.

So far breakfast seems to be the easiest meal to assimilate into the Zone. I'm trying to come up with 5 meals and snacks total, evenly distributed throughout the day. With Kayla at home now during the days, we're trying to eat a lunch together, which will fall easily before I head for work. So a 8am breakfast, a 11am snack of cottage cheese and fruit, then 2pm lunch sets me up for plenty of energy for a shift of massaging. A quick mid shift snack and a boost of protein before bedtime should keep my insulin levels,  hunger, and weight regulated- at least for 5 days of the week.

The 4 hour body by Tim Ferriss, which I have only thumbed through in the bookstore thusfar, has a very similar system, probably a bit more protein because he's proposing intensive weight training and recovery. An interesting adjustment Ferriss includes is a weekly cheat day. He even said you should make yourself sick with candy bars on that one day- pretty extreme...dangerous according to some online reviews...but I know I am personally prone to losing course in a pretty major way at least once a week when it comes to eating. Especially if there is a Chinese or pizza buffet involved!



That being said, I'm not too involved in new years resolutions, just looking good with my shirt off, which will lead me to Beach Bodies- another questionably scientific but seemingly effective health system- in another post. I just watched the first few episodes of Showtime's The Tudors last night, about the beginning years of Henry the VIII's reign. There were several inspiringly sexy naked folks there which make me want to get back to my running!

No comments:

Post a Comment